5 Tips For Staying Positive

Wednesday, September 16, 2015


I'm going to go ahead and make a confession: I'm not always positive--in fact, it's an every day struggle for me to be positive sometimes (like now while I study for LSATs). However, I do think that being and staying positive is essential for people to function properly in society. Here are five tips for you (and me!) to try to follow.

#1 Tell yourself, out loud, that you're going to be okay. When I'm on the verge of breaking down, I look at myself in the mirror and say, "It's going to be okay." I say it as much as I need until I've calmed down. It's okay to be sad and to cry, but if it's taking over you, it's going to take over (and everyone around you's) life.

#2 Designate time. If you're not positive because you're stressed. Go ahead and create an hour by hour (or whatever time interval works for you) schedule of things you need to do and then break it down to include 30 (or, again, what works for you) minute breaks. Dedicate 100% percent of your attention to one task, then move on and dedicate 100% percent to the next task, and so on. Focusing on one thing at a time will enable you not to overthink and over-stress.

#3 Watch a movie, read a book, exercise. Do something you love for a little bit and enjoy it. Don't think about anything else. I know it's hardly impossible but tell yourself that you deserve it. 

#4 Don't be afraid to ask people for support. It's not complaining. You are an awesome person and sometimes we need people to tell us that and remind us that this little one way vacuum we think we are on is not one way--it's more like a rotunda where people are coming in and out and building you up. I love texting my boyfriend and even though he might say something simple like, "Don't worry," I always think: Wow, I needed to hear that.

#5 Cry. Crying is so cathartic to me, personally. If I'm not happy, I'm angry. And that anger is a jar full of different emotions and sometimes you just have to open that jar. I cry and then I take a shower and then I continue. Continuing is the most important part and you have to continue. But you're also very allowed to feel.

I hope that you take these tips and try to apply them to your life. Let me know what tips you have for when you're not feeling positive.

XO, Patricia

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs