On Moving On

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Hello!

A few weeks ago I learned about the results of my LSATs. The LSATs, if you don't already know, is like an SAT but for law school. It's a very tough test that tests your way of thinking rather than your knowledge about a special topic. Needless to say, I studied for 15 hours a week for 4 months and was nowhere near the score I wanted to get.

When I got the score, I was heartbroken. I probably spent the entire weekend crying and feeling very scared about my future. My parents were repeating the same and same thing: "This doesn't define you." I knew it didn't, but at the same time, I knew my score would close a lot of doors for me. Since that time, however, I've slowly learned to accept and move on. I learned some valuable lessons I want to share and I think they're true for many things.

1. You are not defined by it.
It may seem that it's the only way to get you where you want. But it isn't. One small bump in the road is not going to derail your life forever. You are way more than what it can possibly maybe say about you.

2. The process is important.
Too often we're focused on the end. We have in mind that great career where we're finally perfect. Yet, it rarely, if ever, happens. Personally, I've always been very in control of my academics and during this process, I've felt very out of control. However, I have realized that no matter what, I'm never going to be satisfied. I know that sounds bad but I don't see it like that. I see it as a good thing--I'm always going to strive for better and that is an exciting challenge. Natuarally, I can't always do things right, how would I learn otherwise? The process itself builds you up and gives you strength to get the end--and if you don't get it, then it will build you up for something better!

3. It's okay to be sad
I took the whole weekend to be sad and mourn what I thought was a lot of effort wasted. But I realized that I couldn't stay in that sadness for too long, otherwise it would completely overpower everything else. I've learned that I don't want to talk about it sometimes, and that sometimes I want to talk about it a lot. Give yourself a mourning period and allow yourself to be completely heartbroken abut it. But then, when the time is up, say, "No more," and move on.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs